Huwebes, Disyembre 15, 2011

The Trouble Between Two Queens

In a household, I believe that there should only be one crowned queen. But sometimes, even when you're already in your own "kingdom", you feel like you're being ruled over by the other queen. Most of the times, it's a cold war caused by the DOs and DON'Ts of rearing a child.

I confess that I wasn't financially ready to raise a child when I found out I was pregnant. Sometimes I would break down because alongside this incapacity is my fear of not becoming a good mother to my child. But I've conquered these fears by reading articles regarding pregnancy and child-rearing. I watched videos on how to give bath to a newborn and on how to feed them their first solid food. I even chat with other moms (almost with the same age as mine) so as to learn new insights on what to do on certain situations. I also ask my baby's pediatrician regarding her growth development as well as her health. But when all things fail, here comes my mother-in-law saying all the SHOULDs to be done. Sometimes, she even makes me feel like I'm inadequate to become a mom. Though I'm thankful to how much she's concerned to her first grandchild, I think there are boundaries both of us should be very aware of.

When I had my daughter, that's the only time I realized that Moms know best! I may not know all the answers to the puzzling world of a first-time mom but I am confident to say that I know what's good and bad for my daughter.

The other queen would feed the little princess with boiled egg. She would even let her eat the "white" part. But I, the queen mother of the little princess, know that the white part isn't good for her. The doctor said that that part usually triggers a child's allergy. My husband and I already informed her about this but she would insist. The night the little princess ate that part, she vomited.

The other queen would put powder to our little princess... at her back, chest, armpits, and to my horror, even at her face! My little princess would be covered with mists of powder and later she would sneeze! My husband and I already informed her that the tiny particles of that powder don't dissolve inside our little princess' lungs. That would even cause her asthma! But she would insist. She would tell me her sons didn't have any lung problem even though she would pat a lot of powder on them. (But my husband has nasal allergy to any "dust" particle!)

The other queen had a lot more experience than the mother queen but that doesn't guarantee that she knows ALL already. However, though she would insist her "old" ways to our little princess, I would still be thankful for her presence in our kingdom. Maybe just like me, she only wants what's best for our little princes.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento